Considered as the monument which gave birth to the city, the church was handed over by the Bishopric to the City Hall in 1933 and added to the Municipal Heritage as the Historical Monument of the Formation of Niterói, in 1939. Its Jesuit architecture dates to the 17th century. The high altar houses an altarpiece, a precious Baroque item from the late 16th century. Despite all the controversies, the São Lourenço dos Índios Church is the oldest church in the city of Niterói.
Address: Praça General Rondon, s/nº – Morro de São Lourenço, Niterói
Telephone: (21) 98174-4384
Schedule with Mr. Egídio Perpétuo
Mass: Sunday 9:30am.
Niterói Bus Lines: 66